DiveGen is a 4-way and 8-way formation skydive generator for J2ME mobile phones (not Android or iPhone - sorry!). I wrote it (before Android or iPhones existed) when I first formed a 4-way team; we'd turn up to the dropzone without any clue what to do, and inventing dives ourselves wasn't random enough.
The application creates skydives from the FAI IPC dive pools (Rookie, 'A', 'AA' or 'AAA' classes for 4-way; Senior and Intermediate for 8-way) and gives the name and (optionally) a picture of each formation chosen. It has 3 modes of operation:
- Competition - Simulates a competition-type draw. A set of formations are drawn for a dive and left out of the 'pot', so they can't be drawn again.
- Continuous - Draws a set of formations for a dive and leaves them in the 'pot' so they can be drawn again.
- Formation display - Given a selected class (e.g. 'AA') this mode displays all the formations that are relevant to the class.
DiveGen works on mobile phones that have j2me on them, mostly old-style Nokia and Sony.
If you are able to install or transfer applications from your PC into your phone (e.g. using Nokia PC Suite), then download, unzip and install the file below.
Install via zip, or directly:
- 5 March 2011 - 4.9.3: Change for updates to the 2011 divepool (4-way blocks 1 and 13).
- 10 July 2008 - 4.9.2: Change the images for 4-way block 20 and random B.
- 28 Feb 2008 - 4.9.1: Fix 4-way blocks 5 and 12.
- 04 Feb 2008 - 4.9: Better 8-way images. Some fixed 4-way images.
- 03 Feb 2008 - 4.8: Clearer, higher-resolution images. Fix scrolling problem on Windows Mobile phones (bug in Windows Mobile Java implementation) - use canvas for image display.
- 23 Jan 2008 - 4.7: Use individual 8-way images, and restore individual 4-way images.
- 22 Jan 2008 - 4.6: 8-way pictures introduced. Concatenate all formations into a single image, and used code to extract the selected formation. Problematic, as opening the large image failed on some phones (not enough memory).
- 04 Dec 2007 - 4.0: 8-Way, but with no pictures
- 15 Jun 2006 - 3.2: 4-Way
If you find DiveGen useful, do feel free to donate!